News

Man contracts Coronavirus after Maldives holiday, investigation ongoing

National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has revealed that they are investigating into related events after a patient who had recently travelled to the Maldives contracted the Coronavirus.

Chile confirmed their first case of the virus that has been spreading across the globe on March 3rd, and revealed that the patient had been travelling Southeast Asia for about a month. During his travels, he had visited Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia as well as the Maldives.

NDMA noted that they are investigating further and working to obtain the details of the travels of the patient. They are working with health agencies of several countries alongside the World Health Organisation (WHO).

According to the Institute of Public Health (ISP) the case involves a 33-year-old man in the city of Talca in central Chile's Maule region.

The patient "was traveling for an extended period of time, almost a month, in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Maldives, Spain and then returned to Chile," Alfredo Donoso, head of the Talca Hospital, told reporters.

"He returned Feb. 25 and on March 1 began to have respiratory symptoms," said Donoso, adding the proper steps were taken to treat the patient after he tested positive for COVID-19.