The Elections Commission of the Maldives has announced that the 2023 Presidential Election will be held on September 9th.
Speaking to the media during a press conference held to update on the preparations of the EC for the election, Chairman Fuwad Thowfeek stated that they will open applications for candidacy from July 23rd till August 3rd.
2023 Presidential Election Timeline:
- Announcing candidates: August 9
- Campaign timeline: August 10 till September 8
- First round of election: September 9
- Announcing preliminary election results: September 9
- Announcing results of the first round within 7 days of the first round
- Second round of election (if necessary): September 30
- Publicizing Voter Registry list: May 2
- Submitting revisions to voter registry list: May 2 till June 2
- Applications for observers and monitors: July 25 to August 13
- Training of Trainers: July 16 till August 13
- Training of Officials: August 20 till August 29
- Re-registration timeline: 16 July to 5 August
Fuwad further added that over 280,000 people will be eligible to vote in the election which marks an increase of 20,000 voters more than the 2018 presidential election.